Dental crowns are caps used to cover and protect damaged teeth. They are a step up from fillings and placed over top of teeth. Dental crowns are made from porcelain, resin, and ceramic materials. There is no special requirement for the care of dental crowns other than maintaining regular good oral hygiene.
What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown, or cap, is a restoration that can be used for a number of purposes. One of the most common uses of a dental crown is to restore a tooth that is significantly damaged or decayed.
The crown is custom made to fit over the entire tooth, starting at the gumline, in order to restore the tooth to its original shape and size. Dental crowns can be made of gold, porcelain or porcelain fused to metal; porcelain crowns are popular because they match the natural color and appearance of your teeth. Our dentist will help you determine which type of dental crown is right for your smile.
What are the Benefits of a Dental Crown?
Your smile may benefit from a crown if a tooth is damaged or decayed to the point that a dental filling will not provide a successful restoration. Crowns can also be used for a number of other restorative and aesthetic purposes, including to:
- Protect a tooth following root canal treatment
- Anchor and attach a dental bridge
- Cover and complete a dental implant
- Enhance the beauty of your smile
- Improve a misshapen tooth
- Strengthen a tooth that is fractured or weak
- Support a large filling when little natural tooth structure remains
What are dental crowns made of?
Dental crowns are created from the following materials:
- Metal: Metal crowns are used for molars and other teeth that aren’t easily visible based on the metallic color. The main benefit of metal crowns are their durability.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal: A type of crown that matches the natural tooth color.
- All-resin: Less expensive than other crown types.
- All-ceramic or all-porcelain: Not as strong as porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns but are best for those with metal allergies. All-ceramic crowns are used for front teeth.
- Pressed ceramic: Includes a hard inner core capped with porcelain, which provides the best natural color match. - Longer lasting than most all-porcelain crowns.
Dental Crowns Auburn Washington
Dental crowns, or caps, cover your entire tooth to restore its shape, function, and appearance. Our dentist can provide a crown when your tooth is severely damaged or broken. To find out whether a dental crown is right for you, call us at (253) 939-0700 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Nuttall at Nuttall Smiles and to learn more about dental crowns in Auburn, Washington.